As a result of increasing water supply demands, municipalities and water and sewer districts are implementing demand-side management programs to encourage year-round water efficiency. Waste Reduction Partners (WRP) has a long history working with the City of Asheville, Water Resources Department and others, assisting with industrial, commercial, and institutional (ICI) water efficiency programs. Working with the Town of Cary, WRP engineers are conducting water efficiency assessments with hotels as part of a EPA H2otel Challenge program. WRP also provides demand-side management drought response assistance as highlighted with multiple municipalities during the droughts of 1998-99, 2001-02 and 2007-08.
WRP will guide and assist municipalities in launching ICI water efficiency assessments and outreach initiatives. WRP's team of multi-disciplinary volunteer engineers offer a broad range of industrial and commercial expertise to assist your water district's ICI customer-base. Assistance may include the following:
- Create outline of an ICI Water Efficiency Program.
- Define the water utility's conservation goals and objectives.
- Create technical service contract with utility.
- Review customer base to identify and screen customer for demand-side management assistance.
- Confirm that customers management is committed to implement water efficiency measures.
- Assemble a multi-disciplinary team of WRP assessors to conduct the customer water-use audit.
- Collect background site information and records. Complete water efficiency checklist.
- Conduct on-site water audit at customer site. Determine water balance and full cost of water use including water heating, chemical treatment, pumping, on-site pretreatment, and related labor costs.
- Identify target water efficiency measures in process equipment, heating and cooling, sanitary/domestic, kitchens, outdoor/landscaping, leak repair, and other facility support activities.
- Prepare a confidential report that gives specific water efficiency recommendations, cost/benefit analysis, technical resources, vendor information, case studies, and educational program suggestions.
- Follow-up with customer to assure progress and address any implementation obstacles.
- Provide periodic status reports and performance measures to water utility.